Why don't you respect the mail threads?!

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Thu Feb 22 14:57:40 CST 2018

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 03:35:14PM +0100, Liam Proven via cctalk wrote:
[...]
> I don't care _how_ powerful anyone's editor is. Scripting, macros,
> add-ons, modules, whatever. Not interested. Strictly CUA or GTFO.

Liam, I wanted to say this few months ago already (back in Nov, the
"Editor" thread - BTW, thanks for the links to editors wiki and other
interesting pointers). So, what I wanted to say is, this posture is
going to backfire, I am afraid. The new crowd is coming, who newer had
any chance to use anything resembling a terminal (including
terminal-like experience as wobbly as given by MS Windows). They
(crowd) too will be saying things like GTFO - for now, they just top
post awfully long replies (perhaps because their phone/web-based MUAs
cannot offer them easy way to cut the crap?) and refuse to see any
wrong in it. They also happen to break threads like they were paid to
do it and since I am subscribed to way too many lists where this
occurs, I have already gave up manual linking of threads with mutt -
righting wrongs of the crowd is a job for a program, not for single
human. I only have to devise it during free time, when I have some.

Given that they are soon (if not already) going to be a "dictatoring"
majority, I am not so sure the "GTFO" is the right kind of message to
send out. Even though I have no idea what a constructive message could
look like.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola