Why don't you respect the mail threads?!

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Thu Feb 22 14:26:55 CST 2018

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 05:50:56PM -0500, Noel Chiappa via cctalk wrote:
>     > From: Grant Taylor
>
>     > I'm on a list where it seems as if a frequent contributer uses an MUA
>     > that does not send In-Reply-To or References headers at all. It doesn't
>     > even send a User-Agent header. *sigh*
>
> That's me, I expect.
>
> I used to use a TOPS-20 email reader called MM, and when I moved my
[...]
> I do have access to a more modern email reader (Eudora), but don't
[...]
> After going through I've-forgotten-how-many editors (starting with
> TECO, then 'ed'), text formatting systems, operating systems, email
> readers, etc, etc I have a _very_ simple rule about switching
> software: is the old stuff I'm using utterly, irretrievably
> unusable? If not, ignore the new stuff. Eventually it'll be obsolete
> too. And in the meantime, I'll have saved countless cycles by not
> going through the hassle of switching to it. Life's too short.

Noel, I respect your attitude, even replicate it a bit, but
nevertheless I shyly suggest that you try mutt for email (especially
if you process your emails via terminal). It is quite versatile (as
far as I can tell, and I am of course quite subjective) and works on
variety of terminals - I have configured it to work in 256 colors
(because I fancy colors) but it also works on vt100 (i.e. in
monochrome, or rather, it works on terminal emulator with TERM=vt100,
and some keys work differently in this mode then in 256-color
mode). There are some key shortcuts that have to be learned, but not
so many. Configuration is done by editing a file, which means I can
put in snippets from the web to try. If you have your preferred editor
and it works on term, then it probably can be used by mutt (emacs
works for me).

Before that, I have been using pine (nowadays named alpine), which had
configuration edited via builtin options editor and before that, elm,
never configured by me (AFAIR - about 20yago). So, with this
perspective, I can say mutt is not bad and I intend sticking to it for
a while.

Last but not least, it looks like mutt adheres to the standards and at
least does the right thing with headers.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola