Large HP plotter on the curb in Arlington, MA

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Mon Feb 12 19:19:43 CST 2018

> On Feb 12, 2018, at 2:17 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 12 Feb 2018, Zane Healy via cctalk wrote:
>> The model should be “1055CM".  I used to support a bunch of these. Not a bad plotter.  Definitely preferred them to the Versatec plotters they replaced.  I suspect HP won’t support it.  I ran into that problem with an earlier model, then to my surprise I found a local outfit that would repair them for a third of what HP had been charging us.
>>
>> No clue what the ink availability is these days.  The ink carts aren’t cheap, and if it has issues with the print head, someone might have been running old ink through it.
>
> Amazon has ink cartridges!   $150, or ~$50 for refilled
> $70 each for printhead (refurbed)
> ~$120 for a roll of 36" wide paper.
>
> No availability for 1055cm (10 meter) wide paper.  :-)

The idea of paper that size gives me nightmare.  I supported a couple 55” Xerox plotters, the ends of the paper were almost always damaged in shipping.  A crafty user discovered, out of desperation, that you could carve the damaged portion out with a pocket knife.

Those were replaced with 60” HP’s, but the minute it was installed, someone else took over responsibility.  So I’m not sure if it was as much problem, probably night, HP was wiser in their paper packaging.

A bad weekend would be measured in miles.

Zane