[RESOLVED] Re: EPROM baking

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Feb 5 18:00:51 CST 2018

On 02/05/2018 01:02 PM, Bill Degnan via cctalk wrote:

> I was going to say...I would not have thought any USB-powered prom
> programmer to be the best solution.  I have two programmers both have their
> own wall power connectors and they're reliable.  I am not saying that it
> would not be possible that an USB-powered prom programmer would work, but
> I'd personally want to stick with something with some legroom.  I always
> measure my USB supplies and cables' output to separate out the ones that
> don't provide enough umph from those that do.
> Happy computing

I don't use one now, but I used to have a USB-powered programmer and it
worked okay for GALs and 27Cxxxx UV EPROMs as well as EEPROMs.
However, if I were using older parts, I'm not so sure.

The interesting thing is that upon opening the thing up, you could see
pads for a wall-wart barrel jack (unpopulated).   So who knows, perhaps
Bill's USB programmer is similarly equipped.

I still use an older Xeltek Superpro for most things.  It does the job.

--Chuck