Password reset for ~1998 AIX on RS/6000?

Ian Finder ian.finder at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 14:49:49 CST 2018

I had this experience with a Tadpole N40, running AIX 3.

I simply DD'ed the drive, took the image...
$ strings aix-machine.img | grep root:
...to get the password line.

Dump that into a passwd file and run john (the password cracker utility) on
it for a couple days.

I don't think Linux can mount the early AIX filesystems directly.

--
   Ian Finder
   (206) 395-MIPS
   ian.finder at gmail.com