RSTS source tape

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sun Dec 30 18:44:40 CST 2018

> On Dec 30, 2018, at 1:59 PM, B M via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> Does anyone know the OFFICIAL status of RSTS/E source? I am aware of the
> Mentec license, but it appears to only grant a license to the binary
> distribution.
>
> I believe I have source tapes to RSTS/E version 5 & 6 that I would like to
> release copies, but I cannot until I can get official permission.  I
> acquired the tapes from a person who did some development on early PDP-11's.
>
> I am checking my binary versions of the RSTS tapes and if they are ok, I
> can release RSTS/E V5B and RSTS/E V6B.
>
> --barrym

I thought that the current owner of those rights is no longer Mentec but rather XX2247 LLC.  Not sure how to contact them, though.

V5B is quite interesting, since it's the first version that was built the way all the later versions were, using the RT11 runtime system.  From V4A to V5A, system generation was done using DOS-11.  (In V3 and before, as far as I know, there was no Sysgen, you got your software built to order by DEC, probably at least in part using TOPS-10 based cross-assemblers.)

	paul