OCR old software listing.

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 20:19:12 CST 2018

On Wed, Dec 26, 2018, 17:15 Chuck Guzis via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> On 12/26/18 3:17 PM, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:
> > On 12/26/18 2:55 PM, Steve Malikoff via cctalk wrote:
> >> Scan them all as-is, put them up and 'crowd source' this list
> > And TYPE the programs in again
>
> I've found that it's often the best course of action and consumes the
> least time overall.  You also have a better chance of understanding the
> code.

I typed in 710 pages of listing of the main processor code of HP
2000C'/2000F Time-Shared BASIC. I typed in the full listing format,
including the line numbers, addresses, and object code. I used a simple awk
script to strip it back down to source form. I wrote an HP 21xx
cross-assembler in Perl, assembled the sources, and diffed the generated
assembly listing against the typed-in listing, in order to find the
inevitable errors. I believe the results contain no errors introduced by me
other than typos in the comments.

This did take a fair bit of spare time.