More old stuff incoming

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Fri Dec 21 16:30:54 CST 2018

> On Dec 21, 2018, at 8:51 AM, Grant Taylor via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On 12/21/18 1:07 AM, Jim Manley via cctalk wrote:
>> no, emulators will not cut it
>
> Would you please expand upon that?
>
> Are you saying that things like a Raspberry Pi running RetroPi (I think that's the name) don't suffice / satisfy as the real thing that they are emulating?
>
> Or are you including things like the new retro consoles that original vendors are coming out with?  (The palm sized SNES from Nintendo comes to mind.)
>
> Do you have any idea why these newer things are not cutting it?
>
> I've also had great success with running '90s era games in DOSBox on what ever computer happens to be handy.  Does that not work at all for you / your crew?

I’m afraid I’ll have to agree with Jim here.  When talking about Retro Gaming, in most cases, the Raspberry Pi, while better than nothing, aren’t as good as the real thing, especially in regards to video and audio.

I was seriously excited about the Retron77 (Atari 2600) that was recently released, but on getting it, I found that it wasn’t able to play a fair number of the cartridges I’ve tried with it.

DOS games never had *KNOWN* set of hardware they’d be running on, as a result I think they’re likely more forgiving.

Now despite what I just said about the Raspberry Pi, I have three of them around here, one is a small VAX running OpenVMS 7.3, one is a DPS-8 running Multics, and the other a KL-10B running TOPS-20.  I had dreams of building a VMS cluster of RPi 3+’s, but have kind of gone off that idea, due to the superior performance I get using my VMware Cluster to host VAX instances.

Zane