Public buy/sell/trade

Electronics Plus sales at elecplus.com
Fri Dec 21 09:33:14 CST 2018

For months I have been trying to implement a "multi-vendor marketplace". Without a budget, it is almost impossible. There is a free software, Sellacious, which runs off Joomla. Out of the box, it does not work. It has MAJOR security holes. However, it was the ONLY one I could find where more than one seller could sell the same product. Suppose 5 people have 1391401 keyboards. In almost every other system, you would have 5 separate listings. I wanted something more like Amazon, where the item is listed ONCE, and then each seller can set his price and a description of the condition, etc.

I am most familiar with Magento, which is what I use. There is a multi-vendor add-on available, but the base package is $399, and then you go up from there with features, like each seller being able to input his own shipping methods/rates and payment methods.

Deskthority donated the space for such a market, and offered to host it, but no one has the time to update/maintain it. If it were Magento, I would do it, but I don't have $400+ to invest in the extra software (basic Magento CE is free).

If someone wants to donate the funds, or write a good working module for Magento multi-vendor, I will be happy to set it up an maintain it.

The advantages to Magento are many, but it has a few drawbacks too. You can do almost anything with it, but it can be a little slow. The community is very active.

There are numerous tiny sites for buying and selling that are not very active anymore, and most use a PHP BB type system, which will not let you list and buy like a true ecommerce does. It also does not tell you when something is out of stock, or allow you to add it to a wishlist.

Cindy