Want/Available list

Eric Christopherson echristopherson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 18:12:12 CST 2018

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 4:23 PM Carlo Pisani <carlojpisani at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I guess I might as well ask, since I've been wondering: What does the
> name
> > "downthebunker" mean?
> > Is it a reference to something? I'm not even sure how a bunker could be
> gone "down"
>
> the computer room is located 10 meters underground in a room which
> looks like a mini bunker. But it's not relevant, it's just a name for
> a website.

OK, so it's down *to* the bunker or down *in* the bunker. I'm just asking
because of my language geekery. I still don't know, though, whether "down
the bunker" without a preposition is idiomatic in some dialect of English I
don't speak fluently. I just know some UK English speakers pronounce "down
to the/down at the" ALMOST the same as "down the", but I believe there's
still a glottal stop in the former but not the latter.

> > And why the .xyz TLD? I don't know much about it
> > but it always looks really sketchy to me.
>
> When you put a server to the internet you have an IP and you want to
> be reached by an URL you have to pay someone for the service. We found
> a cheap service offering a domain, and the "xyz," is what they offered
> for the lowest price possible (10 euro/year) since dot com and dot org
> cost more money (50-100 or more).

Wow. Maybe domain registration is a lot more in the EU; here you can have
it for $8.88/yr. That's not with hosting, though; I don't know who does
your hosting.

--
        Eric Christopherson