NSC 8477 Was: New takes on XT-IDE, a new FDC, and a new CM/S GAL

Ali cctalk at ibm51xx.net
Wed Dec 19 19:38:53 CST 2018

> Micro Solutions initially shipped the CompatiCard IV with the Intel
> chip--and it worked well.  Intel then revised the chip as the 82077AA-1
> to add tape support and broke the FM capability.  When I inquired about
> this to Intel, I got the response "Who uses FM anymore?".   Micro
> Solutions sent a bunch of retrofit kits with NSC chips in them to a
> small bunch of CC IV purchasers after they discovered the problem.
> Fortunately, the 8477 is pin-compatible with the 82077.

Chuck,

Are you saying that CCIV initially had an NSC 8477 or an 8473? Or that it had an Intel chip and when Intel came out with a new revision they went to an NSC chip? Also are all CCIVs retrofitable? i.e. can I order an NSC chip and plop it into my CCIV to get FM back? Finally can you drop in an NSC 8473 in a CCIV to get 128-byte MFM or the best you can do is switch to a NSC 8477? TIA!

-Ali