OT RE: 3D printer $179.99 (today ONLY) (Was: 8-Update

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Wed Dec 19 19:07:19 CST 2018

> On Dec 19, 2018, at 4:32 PM, Jim Manley via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> BTW, he cited his source for all of his knowledge as the WW-II era U.S.
> Navy manual for casting metal, from back when sailors just made whatever
> parts were needed.  They had well-equipped and stocked shops on larger
> ships and tenders, with furnaces for casting all the way through lathes,
> milling machines, and drill presses for final machining.  Those manuals are
> on-line and contain a wealth of industrial technical information about
> every facet of metalworking, electricity and electronics, radio, steam and
> diesel engineering, etc., but in language that boys off the farm could
> understand quickly and comprehensively.  I sure hope that there are copies
> stashed in that critical human history document vault, that the Long Now
> Foundation (LongNow.org) is building, with a mechanical clock that will be
> able to run for 10,000 years with no maintenance, to be installed
> underground in a remote part of West Texas (kinda redundant, I know!).

I’m not sure the quality of Navy Manuals now, but I do know that the ones from the 70’s and 80’s were for the most part fantastic.  I think the only ones I have that are WW II era (technically Korea) would be for Photography.  The NEETS series which crossed several ratings is definitely worth while, though by now it’s likely pretty dated (and I’m not sure if it’s been updated.

While the Frigate I was on lacked a furnace, it had the rest of the stuff you mention above.  That was on one of the smallest ships.

Zane