More old stuff incoming

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Wed Dec 19 10:33:03 CST 2018

> On Dec 19, 2018, at 3:51 AM, Peter Corlett via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> It's a nostalgia market, and the stuff that's peaking is when those who are
> starting to hit their mid-life crisis are getting nostalgic for the stuff of
> their youth. That's now the 1995-2005 era, and 16 and 32 bit consoles are
> flying off the shelves. There's a shop opposite Amsterdam Centraal station
> which is packed to the rafters with second-hand games for 16 bit consoles, and
> quite a few mail-order dealers dotted around villages here in the Noord-Holland
> peninsula.
>
> Are you feeling old yet?

The “Retro” gaming market is booming, with plenty of new hardware and games!  I have numerous Atari 2600 cartridges released in the last couple years (some as recent as a couple months ago).  There is a market for new games for consoles up to the 16-bit era, and even a few that are 32-bit.  Some of these games are better than those originally released.

Then there are places like GOG.com, selling virtualized copies of old PC games (I love being able to easily play Master of Orion on my Mac).

From what I see locally any vintage Game Console does really well, in part because with one or two exceptions, no floppies are involved.  Certain vintage consoles and certain game command big $$$’s.

My wife and all my kids are into Retro gaming.  I like Retro games because I have slightly less than zero time to play games.  So when I have 5 minutes to spare, I can turn on the Atari 2600 and play a couple games of something.

I have to wonder how many others are into Retro gaming due to the time commitments required by modern games.

Zane