Orphan HP Alphaservers looking for a new home

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Tue Dec 18 12:55:02 CST 2018

> On Dec 18, 2018, at 10:40 AM, Grant Taylor via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On 12/18/2018 10:28 AM, Zane Healy wrote:
>> On Alpha’s, the SRM console supports both OpenVMS and Tru64, while the ARC firmware only supports WinNT.
>
> Wasn't it possible to switch between ARC and SRM on many Alphas?  As in to overwrite one firmware with the other?

Yes, for example on a DEC PWS 433au.  It is also possible to load the SRM console on a DEC PWS 433a (Windows NT only), and once you had a supported SCSI card, and if you wanted video, a supported video card, you can run OpenVMS (or Tru64).  This was my primary VMS box for many years, including several years after one of the PCI slots died (which speaks highly in my mind about how well the hardware was made).

My main box is now a Compaq XP1000/667, though I’m slowly moving everything to a virtualized cluster.

Zane