Orphan HP Alphaservers looking for a new home

Andrew Luke Nesbit andrew at canaldwellers.org
Mon Dec 17 18:50:39 CST 2018

Dear Richard,

As soon as I saw this message my heart skipped a few beats, merely at the _possibility_ that I might be able to share in some of this hardware.

I have been fascinated by my first HP AlphaServer DS15, ever since an acquaintance at the local hackspace kindly gave it to me.  Here are some photos: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jxxkmh9fiaqdsjw/AAC5QdhR8NXE-Id5A44UYWRya?dl=0

I would love to take it all, and would gladly pay for shipping and insurance to the UK.

But I don't want to be greedy either.  Maybe there are other people on this list who would like to, or ought to, experience the same exhilaration as owning an AS.

Having a small cluster of AlphaServers, plus RAID server and fibre switches, fits in SO PERFECTLY with my side project; it's about formalising methods for distributed computation and then making a libre-friendly distributed computing environment available to interested users in a communal or co-operative environment.  I'm currently preparing the x86 portion of the overall project for shipping to colo.

Several AS'es in an HA, resilient setup would be such a perfect complement.

Please let me what you think!  I value comments and questions from all.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Sent from my mobile phone