Orphan HP Alphaservers looking for a new home

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Mon Dec 17 20:00:26 CST 2018

On 12/17/18 5:27 PM, Richard Loken via cctalk wrote:
> Anything Tru64 Unix does VMS does better.  Anything Linux does Tru64
> Unix does better.

If that's true, then I would expect Tru64 to have better support of
modern cryptographic ciphers than Linux.  Carrying your analogy further,
I'd expect to see bleeding edge development on future ciphers on
(Open)VMS systems.

> Have I made my bigotry clear?

Yep.

Have I?  }:-)

> You will seriously raise your electric bill and somewhat lower your
> heating bill.  All of this hardware is 120V single phase but it would
> like a couple circuit breakers all to itself.

Do the breakers need to come from /my/ breaker panel?  Or do the Alphas
care if they come from my neighbors house?

...Assuming that there's no sneak current or cross phase issues.  I
guess I could power them completely from my neighbor's place and just
link our houses with optical fiber.  :-D  Or wireless!  Seeing as how
Linux sort of supports wireless, (Open)VMS is bound to have support for it.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die