now - Popular Electonics was Re: Manual sources

ED SHARPE couryhouse at aol.com
Thu Dec 13 09:22:12 CST 2018

YEP! Pretty sure all Popular  Electronics  were  online?

Bill.... Yes  the  'for  profit'   model diminished   due  to  online scanned  holdings.
It  also diminished  the value  of  some publications  also as  many people are  OK  with having a  digital  copy and  do not have the urge or need to have a hardcopy on file.

PAPER is still king here though as it offers us the best  images     for use in display as we  photograph or  scan the  printed artwork and not  deal  with  compression.

There   may  even  come  a point  where I  have to  direct  a  thinning  of the  library. Even now,  some  things that  we  have multiple  copies of  or multiple sets of are being  shared out.

Thinking back on my  young  days and  the love of  publications...

Heh!  I can't  tell  you  how many  copies of Popular Electronics, Electronics Illustrated and Electronics  World  and others  I read in  class  with a  text  book   in front of  it to make the teacher  thing  I was  really  interested in what they were teaching!

Neighbors that  were in the engineering and  science  careers were a  steady supply  of  great higher level  publications that many of  them would  trash every  week...   and  what  wonderful  reader service cards  all of these publications  could  be  used to bring in   on some  days  a 2  foot  stack of  mail ... much to my mother's chagrin who had to sort out   the few pieces of  family mail that were in the stack.

All family  cars ( and a   few neighbor cars  too) had  'stashes'  of  mags  in the  trunk ....   "sure  mom  what to stop and   go  shopping..." Let  me  get something out of the  trunk....."

Although  scanned  stuff is   useful there is still nothing like  curling up in an  arm chair   (or in  this story  a  car seat)  and  reading the   paper  issues!

Ed#  www.smecc.org  (extra   spaces included to   authenticate message)