chasing down an old game

Dr Iain Maoileoin iain at csp-partnership.co.uk
Sun Dec 9 03:20:53 CST 2018

Many many years ago in a distant galaxy (called Strathclyde University Computer Science) we ran a game on the
PDPs.  It was great at testing out terminal line speed handing and debugging curses (well that is what we told the
bosses).

I remember the game as being called “search”.  But since we had the source code it could have been anything.

It was played on 24 x 80 dumb terminals.  It was multi user.  In the game you moved around the universe in your
craft - the display was a kind of 3-D picture (you got closer to a plant and the planet got bigger - try drawing increasing
circles on a 24x80!).

You could travel through the universe shooting other craft (friend of foe).  The only craft name I think I remember is
“shankers” - becuase we had source a lot of the craft names turned into locally relevant names.

You could team up with other players and (1 line) communication with a group or with that player.

I have searched (on and off) for the game.

I cant find anything like it.

I would like it to test out the DZ cards on my PDP! - OK that is my excuse ;-)

Is anybody aware of what I am talking about?  Does anyone have any old code anywhere?

Aye, it was not as good as the old GT40 - but it was a different era.