Interesting RK8E fault

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 00:49:22 CST 2018

On Sat, Dec 8, 2018 at 10:43 PM Guy Sotomayor Jr <ggs at shiresoft.com> wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2018, at 10:36 PM, Josh Dersch <derschjo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Dec 8, 2018 at 10:33 PM Guy Sotomayor Jr <ggs at shiresoft.com>
> wrote:
>

>> > On Dec 8, 2018, at 8:50 PM, Josh Dersch via cctalk <
>> cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

>> > I connected the drive I normally use with my 11/40 to the 8/e for
>> testing
>> > to help narrow down where the fault was.
>> > I used a 16-sector pack in all cases.
>>
>> You should be using 12 sector packs on the 11 and 16 sector packs on the
>> 8.
>>
>> I’m actually surprised the 16 sector pack worked on the 11.
>>

> In all cases /pertinent to this discussion/, i.e. with the RK8E attached
> to both the 11/40's RK05 and the RK05 I've restored for the 8/e.
>
> I have 12-sector packs that I normally use with the 11/40.
>

> OK, just so that I understand the problem:
>

>    - Do you see the problem only on the RK05 you restored for the 8/e and
>    don’t see it on the drives from the 11/40?
>    - Or do you see the problem on all the drives when hooked to the 8/e
>    and when using a 12 sector pack on the 11/40 you don’t see the problem when
>    using any of the drives on the 11/40?
>    - Or do you see the problem on the drive restored for the 8/e but not
>    on the drives from the 11/40?

Just to clear this all up :) :

I have an RK8E that's exhibiting some odd behavior.  Amongst other things
I've poked at, in order to help pinpoint the problem to the RK8E I ran the
formatter and exerciser using the RK8E with both the RK05 I restored for
use with the PDP-8/e *and* an RK05 I'd previously restored and which works
100% perfectly with my PDP-11/40.  In both cases (i.e. with the 8/e's RK05
and the 11/40's RK05) I used 16-sector packs (because I wouldn't expect it
to work on the PDP-8/e otherwise).

The diagnostic and formatter behave identically with both drives.
Therefore:  I assume the problem is with the RK8E.

If anyone has any insights into the inner workings of the RK8E (in
particular the CRC circuit, since it's used to compare the on-disk cylinder
address stored in the header with the cylinder selected by the RK8E's
address register) please let me know.

Thanks again,
Josh