Text encoding Babel. Was Re: George Keremedjiev

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 12:26:37 CST 2018

On Sat, 1 Dec 2018 at 02:00, Maciej W. Rozycki <macro at linux-mips.org> wrote:

>  Be assured there were enough IBM PC clones running DOS around from 1989
> onwards for this stuff to matter,

OK, fair enough. Thanks for the info!

> and hardly anyone switched to MS Windows
> before version 95 (running Windows 3.0 with the ubiquitous HGC-compatible
> graphics adapters was sort of fun anyway, and I am not sure if Windows 3.1
> even supported it; maybe with extra drivers).

It did. Demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lOGPQQlxT8

Screenshot:

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2016/12/windows-30-multimedia-edition-early.html

The difficult bit was Windows 3.0 on an 8088/8086 with VGA, I believe.
The VGA driver contained 80286 instructions because MS didn't imagine
anyone would want Win3 on such old PCs.

(This again shows that MS didn't believe Win3 would be such a big hit,
giving the lie to all the pro-OS/2 anti-MS conspiracy theories...

https://virtuallyfun.com/wordpress/2011/06/01/windows-3-0/
)

To run Win3 on an 8086 in VGA mode, you had to replace the CPU with an
NEC V20 or V30, as I heard it and faintly recall...

The driver did later get patched to work:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?35593-Windows-3-0-VGA-color-driver-for-8088-XT