MicroVAX I

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Mon Aug 13 10:48:04 CDT 2018

> On Aug 13, 2018, at 8:22 AM, Douglas Taylor via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On 8/12/2018 11:36 PM, robertbeauchamp33--- via cctalk wrote:
>> My mother is moving and her spouse has a MicroVax I he bought new back in 1984 for some crazy amount. I don’t see this model listed in your chart? Can you tell me if there is any value to this machine? He also has two original monitors.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>
> Could be quite interesting to this community depending on how it has been stored since 1984 and is it complete and functional. Don't have any expectations for hard disks to work.  What models are the monitors?  VT100's?  Do you have the keyboards?  Any software?
>
> It is an antique and the condition, along with what's inside of the box determine how much interest there will be.
>
> As far as Vax and MicroVax systems the MicroVax I was probably the slowest of them all, and least capable.  Their selling point was that they didn't need an entire room, it could be placed in a normal office environment.
>
> Doug

Something that comes to my mind, what chassis were available for the MicroVAX I?  I’m far more familiar with the MicroVAX II.  While traditionally I’ve preferred the BA123 chassis, I’m rather partial to the BA23’s these days, as they take up about half the space.

Good point on the monitor question, I was trying to figure out how/why a MicroVAX I would have two monitors.  Two terminals makes perfect sense.

Zane