SPARCstation rescue giveaway (Was: Kei cars and motorcycles (Was: Rick Dickinson, ZX Spectrum designer, RIP))

Alan Perry aperry at snowmoose.com
Mon Apr 30 12:51:54 CDT 2018

On 4/30/18 10:20 AM, Eric Christopherson via cctalk wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 5:40 PM, Alan Perry via cctalk <
> cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
>> I keep them all. Not counting the bad ones in the SS1 and 2, I have 7.
>>
>> I can send them to you. I don't mind pick up the shipping costs for
>> something small like that. But the $70 that is it going to cost to ship the
>> SS20 to its new home is another matter.
>>
>> alan
>>
>> On 4/27/18 3:33 PM, systems_glitch wrote:
>>
>>> You can always send me the dead modules and I'll rebuild them
>>> (GlitchWorks == me, my wife sometimes helps with assembly). Whatever you
>>> do, don't throw out the dead NVRAMs -- I'll buy them or pay for you to ship
>>> them or whatever, they're not making more and they're the only solution
>>> that's 100% compatible.
>>>
>>> Yeah, the "still works but pukes errors" is the typical symptom of the
>>> newer, slightly incompatible 48T02s in Sun machines. I don't recall if mine
>>> kept accurate time with the newer modules.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jonathan
>>>
>>> On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 6:28 PM, Alan Perry via cctalk <
>>> cctalk at classiccmp.org <mailto:cctalk at classiccmp.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>>      The ones from Mouser work well enough in every system that I have
>>>      used them in. I still get the IDPROM corrupt message on boot on
>>>      some systems, but it holds the MAC and the systems boot without
>>>      intervention.
>>>
>>>      I tried to repair a few and botched most of them. I know that I
>>>      should be using the GlitchWorks stuff, but it has been easier to
>>>      just buy something that I can plug in.
>>>
>>>      alan
>>>

>>>      On 4/27/18 3:15 PM, systems_glitch via cctalk wrote:
>>>
>>>          Don't get the new MK48T02/MK48T08s from Mouser et al, they're
>>>          not fully
>>>          compatible. They will retain NVRAM but the clock part is
>>>          different and
>>>          you'll get an error on that (system won't autoboot). Rebuild
>>>          your old
>>>          NVRAM! I made up some little boards to make the repair cleaner
>>>          and faster
>>>          to do (I had about 50 NVRAMs to repair):
>>>
>>>          http://www.glitchwrks.com/2017/08/01/gw-48t02-1
>>>          <http://www.glitchwrks.com/2017/08/01/gw-48t02-1>
>>>
>>>          There are other guides for tacking on a coin cell holder
>>>          without cutting
>>>          off the entire top encapsulation, but if you do that, it may
>>>          not fit under
>>>          SBus cards if you're doing it on a system that puts SBus slots
>>>          over the
>>>          NVRAM.
>>>
>>>          Thanks,
>>>          Jonathan
>>>
>>>          On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 6:03 PM, Glen Slick via cctalk <
>>>          cctalk at classiccmp.org <mailto:cctalk at classiccmp.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>>              On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 1:55 PM, Alan Perry via cctalk
>>>              <cctalk at classiccmp.org <mailto:cctalk at classiccmp.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>>                  - SPARCstation 1. Chassis is intact. It has a bad
>>>                  IDPROM; aside from that
> [...]

Jonathan the GlitchWorks guy has better experience with this than I do,
but I have new M48T02s/M48T08s from Mouser in all of the systems that I
have had to replace them in.  That would be in SPARCstation 1+, 5, 20,
IPC, IPX, Classic, and LX. They have worked good enough for me, but I
only occasionally power them on (which is why I was happy that VCF gave
me an excuse use them and network them all together).

I retrofitted an external battery to the one in my Axil 320, but never
found a satisfactory way to fix the battery in place. After I finish
clearing out the SPARCs that came from Pete's place, I will be giving
the Axil some attention and may go ahead and GlitchWorks it (since I am
out of M48T08s to just grab out if the tube).

alan