8085 Dissasembly?

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Wed Apr 18 21:17:34 CDT 2018

> On Apr 18, 2018, at 2:50 AM, Torfinn Ingolfsen via cctech <cctech at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> Since it has not been mentioned yet: NF6X's dismantler supports the
> 8085 (and a couple of other CPUs): https://github.com/NF6X/dismantler
> It is written in Python, so it should run on any platform where Python
> is available. From the description "semiautomatic code recognition"
> and "allows binary files to be disassembled from the command line".

My main motivation for writing dismantler was that I was intrigued by recursive-descent disassemblers such as IDA (which I had seen in use in videos, blog posts and presentations), but didn't want to pay for IDA at the time. I've recently purchased IDA Starter, so I may not use my own disassembler any more for future reverse engineering projects. Dismantler is a pale shadow of IDA, but it's still a big improvement over the simple disassemblers I've used in previous reverse engineering projects.

Some of the future reverse engineering projects I have on my to-do list involve the CDP1802 processor, which IDA presently doesn't support. When I get to them I'll have to decide whether to use dismantler vs. learning how to add CDP1802 support to IDA. I'm leaning towards the latter, because IDA is so much fancier than dismantler is.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/