Help on a 1998 Award BIOS chip

Rik Bos hp-fix at xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 16 12:19:59 CDT 2018

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: cctalk <cctalk-bounces at classiccmp.org> Namens Glen Slick via cctalk
Verzonden: maandag 16 april 2018 19:10
Aan: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Onderwerp: Re: Help on a 1998 Award BIOS chip

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 12:08 AM, CuriousMarc via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> After battling for days with a Dolch 65 that developed the two-tone
> beep-of-death on boot, I finally found that it's just my BIOS ROM that
> has gone bad. The BIOS happens to be an Award BIOS, says "Award 1998
> PCI/PNP 686" on the chip. It's a square chip with pins on the side.
>
> Photo here:
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OtZ1AU0Hac8RlzTgbgCY4z_qcMlGWXu1
>
> So I thought I might just ask. Anyone has a dead Dolch 65 motherboard
> from which I could steal a BIOS chip. The board is actually an
> Advantech CI6BM-B1 industrial single board computer.
>
> Or alternately, can someone identify what kind of ROM or EEPROM that
> likely is, and provide advice on how to read the data from a good chip
> (I have another good chip in another Dolch, that's how I found out
> what my problem was), and program a similar chip.
>
> Marc

Surely you must have a PLCC capable device programmer hidden away somewhere in your not so secret basement lab. And if you don't have one, why haven't you built one up from an HP-85 and some GPIO adapters?

I also have a PAC 65. I'll have to open it up and take a look. Wish there weren't so many screws involved. Whatever that 32-pin PLCC part is I should be able to read its contents with my BP Microsystems
BP-1610 device programmer. I could program a new one if I had some of the same part on hand.

-Glen

It's probably something like a 28F010 / 040 flash chip, or something like that.
Look at which address lines are connected and you can figure out the size of the thing.
Most hobby programmers like Willem etc. will program those, reading shouldn't be a problem at all the foot print of these parts are all the same.

-Rik