Speed now & then (Space and time?)

ben bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca
Wed Apr 11 19:04:12 CDT 2018

On 4/11/2018 5:21 PM, Eric Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 3:48 PM, ben via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org
> <mailto:cctalk at classiccmp.org>> wrote:
>
>     The FREE fpga development software is only under windows.
>

> Xilinx and Altera (now Intel) FPGA development software, including the
> "free" editions, have run under Linux for many years now. I routinely
> use them on Fedora and CentOS.

I got version #9 of the Altera software to go with the old DE1 FPGA
card.I have that card so I can do TTL logic macro's and test before
I do a PCB layout using 74LS chips. More modern software seems to have
dropped that funtionality. I also like programing in AHDL because
I find VHDL and VERLOG too confusing to use.
AHDL also has a similar format to WINCUPL that I use for 22V10
programing. This way I can define logic modules using 22V10's
with the FPGA and test that as well as the 2901 emulation.

> The Xilinx Vivado WebPack software supports the entire Artix-7 product
> line, which covers a pretty wide range of device sizes. Xilinx ISE
> WebPack supports Spartan 3, Spartan 6, and CPLD devices.

Any PCB designs I build will use through the hole parts, thus 22V10's
will be my biggest programable device.
Ben.