WeirdStuff going out of business

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Apr 5 23:31:01 CDT 2018

On 04/05/2018 08:16 PM, Eric Korpela via cctalk wrote:
> I'm not religious, but I consider this a sign of the apocalypse.
>
> I've got bags of stuff I've purchase there (including in its old location)
> that I haven't had time to deal/play with.

It is sad--in the 70s and 80s, the Bay area was rife with surplus
places.   Many an engineer working for a startup cruised those floors.

But how much stuff is actually manufactured in the Santa Clara valley
now?  I suspect that the bulk of manufacturing is done elsewhere.

I went to school in Chicago and can remember the surplus electronics
places on South Michigan Avenue.   They were probably gone by the mid 70s.

So too were the local parts places--you know, the ones with real parts
counters.

Heck, I still have stuff I purchased at Sunnyvale Electronics.

It's a different world now.

--Chuck