H7861 PSU issues

Aaron Jackson aaron at aaronsplace.co.uk
Tue Oct 31 14:21:34 CDT 2017

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to figure out what is wrong with the 12V rail on my
H7861 (BA11-S) power supply. It's showing about 4.2V. The 5V rail is
spot on.

Page 39 of the following schematics is the main part board of the PSU.
http://bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/qbus/MP01233_BA11-S_schem_Mar81.pdf

Going into the collector of Q3 is about 80V coming straight from T2 (I
think I measured it at about 100Hz), but the emitter is putting out the
4.2V, which is the same as the base voltage and output voltage. I tried
replacing this transistor because the hFE was about 80 and a good one
was about 120. Unfortunately it didn't do anything.

None of the capacitors look swollen and I don't see any leakage. There
is a smaller board which I think goes into J4. The 12V side seems to
have a 555 timer and adjusting the pot doesn't change the voltage at
all.

My understanding of switchmode power supplies is very poor. Does anyone
have some pointers on what to check or what might be the possible cause?

Hopefully I can get my PDP up and running again... Only got about 20
minutes use out of it.

Thanks!

Aaron.