Which Dec Emulation is the MOST useful and Versatile?

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu Oct 26 15:29:10 CDT 2017

> On Oct 24, 2017, at 10:40 PM, Kip Koon via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> 2nd, a hardware emulator running a simulator written in 6809 assembly
> language for the PDP-8/e running on a 6809 Core & I/O board system seems
> like a good choice for me as I understand the 6809 microprocessor, ...

I would call that a software emulator; the fact that it runs on some microprocessor eval board doesn't make a difference.  Running SIMH on a Beaglebone would be analogous (though easier).

When you said "hardware emulator" I figured you meant an FPGA implementation of a VHDL or Verilog model of the machine.  There are a bunch of those for a variety of DEC computers.  One I have looked at is this one: http://pdp2011.sytse.net/wordpress/ which incidentally is also configurable to implement a choice of PDP11 model.

	paul