Cloning A Hard Disk Over The Network Using Ultrix

Huw Davies huw.davies at kerberos.davies.net.au
Mon Oct 23 03:32:12 CDT 2017

> On 21 Oct 2017, at 21:40, Rob Jarratt via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> I have a couple of hard disks I want to make dd copies of. I have Ultrix
> running on my DECstation 5000/240 with the disk I want to clone attached to
> it. The trouble is that I don't have enough disk space on the machine to
> clone the disk and then grab the image using FTP. I have been trying to find
> a way to pipe the dd output over the network to a SIMH Ultrix machine that
> has plenty of disk space. I tried piping dd into rcp, but rcp doesn't seem
> to take input from standard input. I have looked at cpio, but that too
> appears not to accept input from standard input.
>

> Unix is not my strong point. Are there any other ways I could pipe the dd
> output across the network to a machine that has enough disk space?

netcat (nc) is the usual tool to do this on Unix type systems. Whether it’s available for Ultrix I don’t know but it may ‘just compile’.

If not, it’s not hard to write two simple programs to read from stdin and output to a TCP/IP socket on another host and the second to read from the socket and output to stdout.

If I had to write the programs I’d either google for an example to copy or have a read of Stevens “TCP/IP illustrated” book series - the only risk of reading them (there are 3 volumes) is that you can spend 6 months just learning and not doing :-)'

Huw Davies           | e-mail: Huw.Davies at kerberos.davies.net.au
Melbourne            | "If soccer was meant to be played in the
Australia            | air, the sky would be painted green"