Ideas for a simple, but somewhat extendable computer bus

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Nov 19 23:54:19 CST 2017

On 11/19/2017 08:11 PM, Ken Seefried via cctalk wrote:

> More importantly, the vast number of compatible I/O cards that were
> produced.  Much alternative history to be pondered.

So we agree on parallel standard buses, that STD bus is a strong
contender with varied processor base.

There *is* STD32, but it's a bit of an abomination, like EISA.  It
extends the bus to 32 bits and retains compatibility with 8-bit STD.
But there's a price to be paid--special connectors (like EISA) and more
complex interfacing logic (to accommodate the older STD).

Finally, it's pretty much a sole-source standard--Ziatech came out with
it, and to the best of my knowledge, is the only firm that ever produced
STD32 cards.

--Chuck