Details about IBM's early 'scientific' computers

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Nov 14 11:20:45 CST 2017

It's always struck me how revolutionary (for IBM) the change in
architecture from the 700x to the S/360 was.  The 709x will probably
strike the average reader of today as being arcane, what with
sign-magnitude representation, subtractive index registers and so on.
The 7080, probably even more so.  But then, most of IBM's hardware
before S/360 had its quirky side; the only exception I can think of,
offhand, would be the 1130, which was introduced at about the same time
as the S/360.

The S/360 was a breath of fresh air for IBM.

--Chuck

Sent from my digital computer