Which Dec Emulation is the MOST useful and Versatile?

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Nov 3 19:07:30 CDT 2017

> On Nov 3, 2017, at 11:58 AM, allison via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> Emulation of another computer was important to two groups early on...
> designers
> that wanted to try new architecture and the result of evolution and
> retirement of
> hardware the need to run costly to develop programs for which source or the
> needed components had become extinct.  The latter I believe is more rampant
> since the mid 70s with machines getting replaced with bigger and faster
> at an
> ever increasing rate.

Could be.  Then again, today's main architectures are all decades old; they get refined but not redone.

Emulation of new architectures on old ones goes back quite a long time.  I've seen a document from 1964, describing the emulation of the Electrologica X8 (which came out around 1964) on its predecessor the X1 (which dates back to 1958).

	paul