BBS software for the PDP 11

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri May 19 06:49:26 CDT 2017

On 19 May 2017 at 13:36, Bill Gunshannon <bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Nope. Take a trip to Amazon and look at just how much power this stuff
> actually consumes.  And, if you go back to the days when we started
> running this stuff in our homes, compare the draw of a QBUS PDP-11 to
> a TV with a picture tube, standard incandescent lights, a refridgerator,
> window air conditioners, etc.  Our toys draw much less power than most
> people think.  Heck, I have seen modern PC's (you  know, the kind gamers
> use) that draw more power and are frequently run 24/7.

I wonder if this is one of those USA-vs-Rest-of-world differences.

I think I have seen a running PDP-11 twice in my life, and it was the
same one -- a machine I had to get exchanging files with Mac clients
acting as terminal emulators, in about 1989 in my first job. It was
already very old kit by then. I've no idea how much power they draw.

Window air conditioners are another thing I've never seen,
incandescent lights are now a rarity in Europe, hoarded by some
old-timers -- i.e. older than me, at a hair under 50. I've never
bought a new TV set with a CRT, either. In fact most of my CRT
monitors over my whole home computing time period -- nearly 40y --
were cast-offs, hand-me-downs, or bought 2nd hand.

I've bought a few 2nd hand LCD monitors now, because I like big ones.
(Oo er missus, etc.) I'm currently running a 23" + a 24" on a 2011 Mac
mini with a 1987 Apple Extended keyboard. All bought used. New kit is
for suckers.

So I don't look into power consumption -- used price is more important
to me, TBH. Probably bad of me, but wotthehell archie wotthehell.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com