Extracting files off unknown 8 inch disks. Any thoughts

Terry Stewart terry at webweavers.co.nz
Thu May 4 21:00:46 CDT 2017

>First if they are DEC its one of two formats either FM aka RX01 or FM2
>aka RX02.
>(..an in-depth explanation)
>How do I know.  I have PDP-8, PDP11 (with RX02) and VAX (qbus uVAX,
>uVAX2000, and 3100 family).
>I used to and still do exchange between RT-11 and CP/M using RX01 mode
>and a CP/M utility that
>knew RT11 format.  IF it was RX02 media, I'd rewrite on the PDP11 to
>RX01 media using FIT or other
>tools.

Thanks for that explanation Allison.  I see there are all sorts of complex
systems and formats.

Based on what I've read, I'll call it quits with this project.  The guys in
the lab in the next building can take it further if they want to.  They
didn't want anything specific off the floppies.  It was a case of "we want
to toss these disks.  but perhaps we should copy the stuff off these
disks...just in case".

Thanks for taking the time to respond.  It's been an interesting learning
exercise.

Terry

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 1:27 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org