Re: Extracting files off “unknown” 8 inch disks. Any thoughts…

Terry Stewart terry at webweavers.co.nz
Thu May 4 18:16:30 CDT 2017

>If these are from a VAX, could they be microcode disks for a 11/780?
There was a RX01 attached via a LSI-11 as console.
>Or they could just be disks used for data exchange.  They would be in
another DEC OS file format, rather than ODS2.

Thanks Jerry,

No one actually knows.  Attached to the front of the disks cover (on
printout paper) is a listing of the directory showing files. Some commands
to get that directory are also shown.

I also tried to examine this disks in pure MSDOS using PUTR V2.01, a DEC
File Transfer Program by John Wilson.  It interrogated the drive for a
recognisable DEC OS, but couldn't find one.

Interestingly, I was able to format/initialise a blank 8 inch disk in the
DEC format I tried (I think it was OS/8) using this program, then mount it
successfully.  This is why I think at least the hardware is working ok.

Cheers

Terry