Scrounging - was Floating point routines for the 6809

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Mar 29 12:01:30 CDT 2017

On 03/29/2017 09:05 AM, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:

> It's amazing how isolated pockets of our cultures can be from each
> other! "Multiple peoples divided by a common language"

This is something that continually delights me, from the time that I was
ridiculed by the downstate Hoosier farmers' sons for calling a green
runner bean a "string bean".  "Those ain't string beans, they're green
beans.  String beans are yellow."  One wonders what would have been the
reaction if I'd referred to them as haricot beans.

Or the time an English co-worker related the story surrounding her
initial job interval in the US.  She described the stunned look on the
face of the desk clerk at the local Holiday Inn when she asked to be
knocked up at 7:30 the next morning.

Even in the last few days, discussion on another list concerned the
words "proctor" and "invigilate".  USA English uses the word "proctor"
both as a verb and a noun to denote the task of supervising a written
examination.  British English uses "invigilate" and "invigilator" for
that.  "Proctor" occurs only as a noun--and when not a church official,
denotes someone whose job description involves discipline. "Invigilate"
is pretty much unknown in US English, though Canadian English uses it.

It's a wonder that we can communicate so well between continents on this
list in spite of regional differences.  It used to be that there were
very substantial differences in the vocabulary used by different
manufacturers (cf. "Label" vs. "VTOC") but that seems to have
standardized greatly now.

For whatever it's worth,
Chuck