PreOwned machine privacy - Was: Acclaim Entertainment Indy (with data, emails, etc) on eBay

Chris Hanson cmhanson at eschatologist.net
Tue Mar 28 19:45:01 CDT 2017

On Mar 28, 2017, at 2:36 PM, JP Hindin via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> While I'm not specifically crapping on the guy selling this Indy - I'm kind of curious how others feel about this sort of thing as it's something I've been confronted with personally lately.

It’s going to make it harder for people to get castoff hardware, because companies are going to err on the side of destroying anything that might possibly be sensitive. (Just as many already do.)

Do you really think such companies will pull drives and shred just the drives before scrapping systems? Or is it more likely they’ll just put the entire systems through a shredder? And even if they did just pull drives, what if they use a hard-to-find interconnect, or an OS that can’t be easily reloaded?

  -- Chris