Z-8000 something on eBay

Ian S. King isking at uw.edu
Thu Mar 23 12:23:11 CDT 2017

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 2:12 AM, jim stephens via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On 3/22/2017 6:26 PM, Ken Seefried via cctalk wrote:
>
>> I don't have any idea what this is but it appears to have Z-8000
>> CPU+MMU chips.  Perhaps an Onyx or S8000 CPU card?  I know some folks
>> here are in to that sort of thing.
>>
>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Vintage-DSC-MP-4-EPC-Rev-D-K-Exp
>> ansion-Board-Card-PCB-for-Mini-Computer/152475939021
>>
>> KJ
>>
> just guessing with the number of I/O's it may be a controller board of
> some sort for something which needed a lot of go power, or perhaps an
> embedded OS.
>
> The EPC part of the nomenclature kept hitting things made by Epson, so
> maybe it is a scanner or printer controller?
>
> The large number of connectors is what bothers me with respect to it being
> a part of a general purpose mini.  I've not seen many with so many
> connectors of this type, and therefore cables coming to the main
> processor.  And in a chassis type mounted mini that would be a huge mess of
> cables to run out of a card slot if it were a high performance controller.
>
> Can prove me wrong, but I'm guessing some sort of controller.
> thanks
> Jim

All of those connectors make me think it's some sort of comm controller.
FWIW.

--
Ian S. King, MSIS, MSCS, Ph.D. Candidate
The Information School <http://ischool.uw.edu>

Archivist, Voices From the Rwanda Tribunal <http://tribunalvoices.org>
Value Sensitive Design Research Lab <http://vsdesign.org>

University of Washington

There is an old Vulcan saying: "Only Nixon could go to China."