RE: RE: Extracting files off “unknown” 8 inch disks. Any thoughts…

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 23 10:22:00 CDT 2017

From: cctalk [cctalk-bounces at classiccmp.org] on behalf of Fred Cisin via cctalk [cctalk at classiccmp.org]
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2017 10:38 AM
To: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts
Subject: Re: RE: Extracting files off “unknown” 8 inch disks. Any thoughts…

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:
> Let's not forget UCSD-Pascal or RT-11. :-)  Lot's of formats, some easier to
> recover than others.

Let's start with determining the hardware aspects to see whether Terry's
machines are capable of reading the disks.

Deciphering the file system structures can come after we know whether it
is going to be possible.

UCSD p-system, for example, is trivially easy to do IFF it is a hardware
compatible recording system.