Z-8000 something on eBay

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Thu Mar 23 04:12:13 CDT 2017

On 3/22/2017 6:26 PM, Ken Seefried via cctalk wrote:
> I don't have any idea what this is but it appears to have Z-8000
> CPU+MMU chips.  Perhaps an Onyx or S8000 CPU card?  I know some folks
> here are in to that sort of thing.
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Vintage-DSC-MP-4-EPC-Rev-D-K-Expansion-Board-Card-PCB-for-Mini-Computer/152475939021
>
> KJ
just guessing with the number of I/O's it may be a controller board of
some sort for something which needed a lot of go power, or perhaps an
embedded OS.

The EPC part of the nomenclature kept hitting things made by Epson, so
maybe it is a scanner or printer controller?

The large number of connectors is what bothers me with respect to it
being a part of a general purpose mini.  I've not seen many with so many
connectors of this type, and therefore cables coming to the main
processor.  And in a chassis type mounted mini that would be a huge mess
of cables to run out of a card slot if it were a high performance
controller.

Can prove me wrong, but I'm guessing some sort of controller.
thanks
Jim