Architectural diversity - was Re: Pair of Twiggys

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sun Mar 19 14:36:57 CDT 2017

> On Mar 19, 2017, at 2:36 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Still, vendors kept extending their FORTRAN IVs.  I think I remarked on
> a CDC syntactic extension that resulted in the ability to write an
> ambiguous statement, with no clear way to resolve the meaning.

I'm reminded of a T-shirt sold while I was in college (mid 1970s) with this text:

    (.)(.)
   IKF4084I

I looked that up in Messages and Codes, found a pointer to the IBM COBOL messages manual, where I found this message text: "Questionable use of parentheses accepted with doubts as to meaning".  So I think CDC was not alone in that bad practice.

	paul