Architectural diversity - was Re: Pair of Twiggys

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Mar 17 13:56:20 CDT 2017

On 03/17/2017 11:41 AM, Paul Koning wrote:

> Not quite true.  ALGOL was the first choice for a couple of
> architectures: Electrologica X8, and the Burroughs 48-bit mainframes.
> And I supposed you could claim that status for Bliss in the case of
> VAXen, though in a different sense there was a whole set of high
> level languages that were there day 1 because the architecture
> envisioned all of them (and any combination of them).

Well, okay--the European-American divide must be taken into account--and
the Burroughs B5000 architecture was sui generis.

But by and large, FORTRAN, at least in North America, was the first
language of choice in implementation--after assembly, if one can call
assembly a language--many would call it "symbolic coding"; using symbols
instead of numeric addresses.

--Chuck