Architectural diversity - was Re: Pair of Twiggys

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 16 21:28:46 CDT 2017

From: cctalk [cctalk-bounces at classiccmp.org] on behalf of ben via cctalk [cctalk at classiccmp.org]
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2017 9:28 PM
To: computer talk
Subject: Fwd: Re: Architectural diversity - was Re: Pair of Twiggys

On 3/16/2017 5:16 PM, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:

> [...]

But was FORTRAN that portable?
Other than the IBM 1130 I cannot think of a small computer
that had ample I/O and memory to run and compile FORTRAN. All the
other 16 bitters seem to more paper tape I/O.
I suspect 90% of all university computers ended up as IBM 360
systems. A few ended up with the VAX, but who knows what they
ran.
Ben.

Ummmm...  I ran Fortran on a TRS-80 with no problems.  I also ran it
on an LSI-11/02 under UCSD-Pascal.  Of course, I ran COBOL on the
same systems.  :-)

As for Universities.  I worked on the academic systems at the Military
Academy at West Point.  While the G&CS (Geography and Computer
Science) Department did have a VAX 11/750 running VMS (and Eunice)
the main academic machine when I got there was a Univac-1100 later
replaced by a bunch of Prime 850's.

bill