Pair of Twiggys

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 23:22:14 CDT 2017

On Mar 15, 2017 3:28 PM, "Fred Cisin via cctalk" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:
> I was surprised that Jobs didn't make the Lisa floppy 5.0 or 5.5 inches,

I assume that Apple wanted to get at least a small benefit of economy of
scale from media manufacturers not having to retool for a different size,
even though they had to use a higher coercivity coating and a different
punch for the jacket.

> and used a relatively standard drive for the Mac.

The Mac used a Twiggy drive (AKA FileWare, AKA Apple 871 drive) until very
late in development. Twiggy drives were intended for use on the Apple II
and III as well, though they didn't go into production. The decision to use
Sony 3.5" drives was a response to the huge problems Apple had with the
Twiggy.

>  I would have thought that he would want people to buy even their media
from Apple.

Other vendors sold Twiggy media under the FileWare trademark, presumably
under license. I have no idea whether a per-disk royalty was involved. I
have unopened boxes of Verbatim FileWare diskettes.