Full immersion emulation

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Thu Mar 2 10:11:34 CST 2017

On Thu, 2 Mar 2017, Liam Proven via cctalk wrote:
> indeed sole, UI for some products. This is indeed their selling point:
> you automate your home by asking an "intelligent" assistant to dim the
> lights, or for a weather forecast, or to record a TV program for you,
> etc.
> It's not coming soon. It's been here for a couple of years now.

And, it will reach a level of reliability to actually be usable, "in a few
more years".  "next year in jerusalem!"

Attempts at speech recognition date back to the Bells (Alexander Melville
Bell and his son Alexander Graham "quick with a patent" Bell).

Now, Siri can tell Kripke, "I'm sorry Bawwy, I don't understand 'wecommend
a westauwant'"

Radio Shack at one time sold a repackaged Votrax voice output, a voice
input, and an X-10 interface, as add-ons to TRS80 (model 1).  It hardly
took any time at all to get those to the point where it would accept, "LET
THERE BE LIGHT", and respond with, "BY YOUR COMMAND", and do an X10
"LIGHTS ON".  None of those accessory peripherals lasted long.