[cctalk-request at classiccmp.org: confirm 38290c8a992491eda604beff5a06ff20cd7e85f5]

Chris Hanson cmhanson at eschatologist.net
Tue Jan 31 22:09:06 CST 2017

On Jan 31, 2017, at 6:30 PM, Mouse <mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG> wrote:

>>> (Speaking of best practices, you're generating paragraph-length
>>> lines; you might want to read RFC 3676.)
>> Thatâ??s up to the receiving MUA to deal with, not the sending one.
>
> If you think that, you _really_ need to read 3676.

Nope. Just because you refuse to believe in a world beyond the teletype doesn’t mean one doesn’t exist. The RFC you cite even admits that; the recommendation for 78-character lines is not a MUST in any case.

I’m actually a little surprised you’re citing such a recent RFC, honestly, rather than something from the early 1990s.

Also, in case you weren’t aware, just like an Internet-Draft isn’t an RFC, an RFC isn’t a standard. This one is a proposed standard, but it’s been one for over a decade now, so I wouldn’t hold my breath on it.

  -- Chris
  -- who was a user of the email system where the creators of MIME developed their ideas