Soldapullt original vs III

Brian Walenz thebri at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 13:26:28 CST 2017

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 12:35 PM, Jon Elson <elson at pico-systems.com> wrote:

> [...]

a pump makes it work 10X better.  The trick, as described in the Pace
> manuals, is you heat the connection for several seconds, then apply vacuum
> and orbit the tip so it moves the component pin in the plated through
> hole.  That orbiting gets ALL the solder out of the hole.

While I wholeheartedly agree with the tool advice and the trick, I lifted a
bunch of traces on a PDP8a CPU board doing this.  I don't know if it was
the particular board or generally crappy manufacturing at issue here.  All
the HP test equipment I've fixed, most if not all from 1985+-7, survived
worse punishment.

I've also started reflowing and adding fresh solder before attempting to
desolder.  Could be better heat transfer, or just easier to suck up a
larger blob.