Microscope for Soldering and Inspection Work

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Sat Jan 14 12:53:22 CST 2017

On 01/14/2017 12:07 PM, Paul Koning wrote:
> Before the second project, I inherited a microscope like
> the one you showed, which I used for inspection. And for a
> few bits of rework. I found it hard to get the hand-eye
> coordination correct working through the microscope, so I
> didn't use it for assembly. If I had to (even finer work)
> I'd have to learn that skill; obviously it can be done but
> it didn't come naturally and so far it wasn't needed. paul
I've done thousands of chips using a microscope.  Anything
down to SOIC size (1.27mm lead pitch) I can do quite nicely
without aids. But, SSOP and the big flat packs benefit
greatly from magnification.  A steady table, so the
microscope doesn't bounce is quite important, too.  I've
done down to 0.4mm lead pitch on some chips that are beyond
the capability of our P&P machine by hand with the microscope.

Jon