PAL video in the states

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Jan 13 12:20:24 CST 2017

> On Jan 13, 2017, at 1:05 PM, Tony Duell <ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 4:18 PM, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
>>

>> Just yesterday I was looking at roughly the opposite question: how to make a DVD (in the USA)
>> that my sister in Holland would be able to use.  The impression I got is that PAL DVD players wil
>> l usually accept NTSC DVDs, and modern PAL TVs will accept a *digital* data stream of NTSC
>> video from such a player.  But that doesn't necessarily mean they will accept NTSC analog (for
>> VCR output for example).  Your report fits that story.
>
> No, this TV will accept analogue NTSC video (such as from a VCR, or I
> assume an Apple ][, not
> that I have tried it).
>
> But what one earth is a 'digital data stream of NTSC video'?

The stuff that comes out of the HDMI port of a DVD player, when playing an NTSC disk?  But note that I'm quoting, or paraphrasing, what I read when digging into the topic.  I'm still trying to make sense out of things.

The whole TV and DVD stuff is clearly obfuscated in amazing ways, probably in part intentionally.

	paul