What is the most amount of money you've spent on a computer or computer-related item?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 15:08:13 CST 2017

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 4:08 PM, Al Kossow <aek at bitsavers.org> wrote:
> $15,000 for a used Mekel microfiche scanner in the early-2000's

Oof!

> It turned out to be just past prototype stage, was missing the pneumatic fiche handler
> and never really got it working at production volumes. The small number of fiche scans
> on bitsavers from around then was the sum total of the output.

Bummer.

> I've probably spent more money trying to deal with scanning microfiche than on any single
> project beyond acquiring documents to scan.

If you or anyone ever comes up with a solution, like many of us, I
have kilograms of the stuff - DEC and IBM for me, mostly mid-1980s.
Probably very little if any of it unique, but if I really need to look
up the engineering docs for a Unibus peripheral or want to browse VMS
source code prior to 5.0, there it is.

-ethan